Dornier Do328 | 328JET | 428JET | Alpha Jet
From 1996 to 1997 he wrote his thesis at Dornier Luftfahrt GmbH in Oberpfaffenhofen (Germany) on the subject: "Examination of laminate structures on rudder end boxes with regard to the generation of corrugations in the production and operation of the component" for design type Do328/328JET.
From 1997 to 2001 Oliver Schmidt worked as a Development Engineer (structure of the wing / tail unit) at Dornier Luftfahrt GmbH / Fairchild Dornier GmbH in Oberpfaffenhofen.
His responsibilities were:
- Cand. DRE (design responsible engineer) for wing/pylon structure to Germany's Federal Aviation Authority (June 2000 until transfer within the company in February 2001).
- Engineer in charge of the migration of production of the wing unit of the 30-seater 328JET regional jet to the USA. Operations in San Antonio/Texas from March to May 2000.
- Leadership of a project team (4 employees) for Level 1 development consulting for the wing unit, tail unit and pylon of the 40-seater 428JET regional jet with IAI (Israel Aircraft Industries). Operations in Tel Aviv/Israel from October to December 1999.
- Drawing up the registration documents relating to the increased weight, flight distance and height of design type 328JET.
- Development of test components and their coordination for test flight purposes.
- Leadership and coordination of a team (staff of 10 in Oberpfaffenhofen and San Antonio/Texas) working on further development and production support for the wings, tail unit and pylon of design types Do328 and 328JET.
Dornier 728 Family
From 2001 to 2002 Oliver Schmidt worked as a Validation and Integration Engineer/Program Engineering at Fairchild Dornier GmbH in Oberpfaffenhofen (Germany). His responsibilities were:
- Coordination of developments, design modifications, tests and production complaints among specialist departments, the production department and suppliers with regard to integration and approvals, taking into account the budget and scheduling for the project 728 Family (70 to 90-seater regional jets).
- Providing assistance, support and consultancy for the chief engineer in relation to technical problems with the "Program Engineering 728 Family".
- On-site support for suppliers in relation to the development and production of the 728 wing at EADS CASA in Madrid/Spain.
- Engineering representative on the auditing of suppliers for wing components MASA Logrono/Spain, OGMA Alverca/ Portugal and CASA Sevilla/Spain.